By Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, [email protected]
The pot possession to prison pipeline has historically impacted communities of colour and grow to be yet another aspect in inequities faced, but now District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Boswer is emphasizing the want for marijuana legalization and law reform with her campaign #SafeCannabisDC.
“It’s time to legalize marijuana. For years, marijuana possession has been a pipeline to prison for individuals of colour. We should replace that pipeline with jobs, equity, and pathways to prosperity,” the mayor wrote on Twitter whilst advertising a petition for the Protected Cannabis Sales Act.
The Protected Cannabis Sales Act of 2019 builds on Initiative 71, which decriminalized marijuana usage in Washington, D.C., and institutes a legal sales and tax plan in order to build a safer atmosphere, whilst also supplying clarity on cannabis usage and goods. In addition, the Protected Cannabis Sales ACT was also introduced to market and make certain justice and equity, so that the rewards of a legal sales and tax regime could go towards assisting and boosting, versus historically harming, vulnerable communities. The slogan for #SafeCannabisDC is “Safety, Equity, Clarity.”
With #SafeCannabisDC the sales and buy of marijuana would be tracked and taxed, and comes with guidelines and limitations creating on existing cannabis laws.
If passed, the Protected Cannabis Sales Act would offer you extra latitude in how residents can buy marijuana- with restrictions of course.
- Buyers should be at least 21 and have a government I.D. to enter and make purchases in cannabis establishments.
- Buyers are restricted to a every day buy of no extra than 1 as soon as of cannabis flower per day, 5 grams of cannabis concentrate, 16 ounces of marijuana infused edibles or 72 ounces of liquid cannabinoid goods.
- Buyers can’t ingest marijuana in public areas, which includes sidewalks, roadways, schools and parks.
- Buyers will be in a position to buy goods on the internet for delivery to a residential address.
- Buyers are prohibited from smoking at any workplace
- Buyers will be taxed 17 % for cannabis at the point of sale.
Cannabis vendors would also have extra possibilities, but with guidelines and regulations.
-For a six-month period, vendors who currently have healthcare marijuana licenses will be very first to obtain applications for licenses for off-premise retailers and cultivators.
– Vendors will be supplied 5 kinds of licenses, which will be valid for 3 years and renewable primarily based on demand. The license kinds contain: cultivator, manufacturer, distributor, off-premise retailer and testing facility.
– 60 % of ownership and 60 % of employers should be D.C. residents.
– Vendors should solicit feedback from the public and ANC’s throughout the application procedure.
– A seed to sale tracking technique will be made
– D.C.’s healthcare marijuana plan will continue
– The Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) will regulate cannabis sales and be renamed the Alcohol Beverage and Cannabis Administration (ABCA).
This adjust comes on the heels of the District opening up healthcare marijuana dispensaries to individuals who are from most states exactly where it is legal.
Final Thursday, Bowser announced that she is permitting extra non-resident, healthcare-marijuana individuals to use their cards for access to buy and consume their medicine. This ruling enables the District to recognize the cards of residents from 27 states, which is an expansion from previously honoring individuals from 19 states.
Security was at the forefront of this ruling as properly.
“This emergency rulemaking is patient-centric,” mentioned Mayor Bowser in a statement. “It guarantees healthcare marijuana individuals from other states can receive their required medicine. It will also market public security by permitting guests to receive their medicine at 1 of the District’s six – quickly to be seven – authorized dispensaries rather than forcing them to go devoid of or patronizing the illegal market place.”
The new states recognized contain: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Nevada, New Mexico, New York and Vermont. Other states, which includes: Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma and West Virginia, are beneath critique.
Residents with healthcare cards from Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Washington State are currently recognized.