Staff Engineer – Mobile
By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Engineering leadership roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who We Are:
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Partnering with Product, Experience Design, Analytics and business leaders across Wayfair, our Engineering teams ensure that we’re building technology that solves important customer problems in elegant, scalable, measurable ways.
Our Engineering organization includes a variety of teams solving interesting problems:
- Storefront: Shopping for your home can be overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 14 million products. Our software engineering teams work to make an extremely complex process seamless for our customers. Shopping for your home should be exciting, and we want every customer to come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them.
- Wayfair’s Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence Engineering team builds solutions that let Wayfair communicate with new and existing customers effectively across advertising, email, and onsite touchpoints. This team is at the intersection of product, marketing, data science, and technology which allows us to be a leader in the Ad Technology space. We are using cutting edge intelligent systems, big data at scale, and world class ad tech to drive phenomenal growth in a multi-billion dollar business.
- The Supply Chain teams are responsible for all of the systems related to the physical movement of Wayfair products. Everything from warehousing, order tracking, inventory forecasting to routing systems and final mile delivery. This group is essential to ensuring customers are provided with the best service experience in e-commerce. The majority of Wayfair’s business is built on repeat customers and it is important for them to have a smooth delivery experience to ensure they keep them coming back.
- The Sales, Service and Enterprise platforms are focused on building and improving software that directly impacts customers, customer service agents, sales associates, Finance, Talent Management and external vendors. Our engineers are responsible for all the tools and processes to support these business-critical operations of Wayfair, along with supporting the continued enhancement and scaling capabilities of these systems. Engineers use data, user-centric design, machine learning, and Agile to achieve operational excellence, fueling company growth.
What you’ll do:
- Lead development for complex project initiatives including new apps, migrations, and increased automation.
- Define best practices and coding standards across the entire team; review code and provide guidance for other code reviewers participating in our release approval process.
- Work with designers and product managers in Wayfair’s journey towards being a mobile-first development organization.
- Anticipate areas for improvement and investment, and highlight these for inclusion in a team’s project roadmap.
- Evaluate other frameworks and libraries for inclusion in our dev process and address key areas of architectural vulnerability across our codebase.
- Work across fullstack, frontend, infrastructure, and Mobile to improve collaboration across tech stacks.
- Give back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
What you’ll need:
- A deep understanding of Swift (iOS) or Kotlin (Android), and at least 5+ years of professional mobile development experience on publicly available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- At least 1+ year leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect) and an eagerness to share your expertise with others, but the humility to know you can always learn something new.
- Experience leading the development of at least one app from ideation to launch and post launch.
- Experience with developing on Android or iOS, and championing efforts to collaborate across stacks; have an active role in shaping the culture and technical standards of your engineering team.
- Experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc) and a working knowledge of the advantages, disadvantages and use-cases of each.
- Hands-on coding experience with GraphQL is a plus.
- Familiarity with building a retail ecommerce app.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.